Monday, September 22, 2008

Job's I would never want

I was visiting my friend Cathy at the hospital last night and I decided without a doubt that I could never be a nurse. Her nurse was cleaning her incision, giving her an IV, giving her medicine, monitoring her blood sugar, arranging for her to get a shower, and calling for housekeeping to clean her room. All of that was done in an hours worth of time!! Even if I could do all of those things as soon as I had to actually clean a wound or see blood of any kind I would either get sick or faint. So THANK YOU to those of you that can do this!

One other job I would never do is wait tables. I think I would get so frustrated with people that I would blow up at them. I couldn't handle all the complaining and special ordering! My motto would be "shut up and eat it"! I think I wouldn't make much in tips......

Then there are the obvious jobs I wouldn't or couldn't do like be a garbage collector (Richard your stories convinced me of this), do anything on a boat or with fish (again I would get sick or faint), sing (although I wish I could do this!), and so many more.

What jobs could you or would you never do???? Please share!

3 comments:

MacKenzie said...

this is a great post.
I agree, you couldn't be a waiter - no way. And speaking as a former waiter, you occasionally you MUST blow up. It's actually kind of fun when it happens - to actually get so irritated at someone of something to really freak out. Good stuff (at least looking back it's good). At least the other waiter always were entertained.
But I think you'd make a great nurse. And by that I mean you'd look great in the uniform - you wouldn't do so well dealing with the customers and the tasks though.

Unknown said...

I majored in nursing but have decided I don't have not just the stomach for it but couldn't deal with the emotional aspect of it either. I think it would depress me. I also could not be an elementary school teacher. I subbed for 1st grade twice and said "don't call me back unless someone dies". seriously. I love kids but 25 of them and trying to teach just made me crazy.

I could obviously not do any kind of engineering work either. I wouldn't enjoy anything that was just details all day long. That would make me batty.

I actually use to waitress and was good at it, i held the record for most tips in a day at one point!

I'm sure there are many other things I would not be good at. I can think of more I would not be good at than what I WOULD be good at.

Alison said...

I seriously thought about this all day yesterday and never could come up with anything.

I agree with you on the nursing thing though. My best friend from Auburn is a nurse and worked in the burn unit for awhile. She told me awful stories of people screaming in pain as she changed their bandages...I couldn't even imagine. Along the same lines, I couldn't be a doctor that had to tell people that they were terminally ill or tell families that their loved ones had died after I tried to save them. I don't think I could deal with that.

OK, that all sounds so morbid - sorry!!